This site contains archive and history information for automotive magazines including: hot rod; street rod; custom cars and lowriders; domestic and foreign sports cars; VW-powered vehicles including kit cars and dune buggies; U.S. and foreign production cars; trucks, vans and pickups; tuners, sports compact and hot hatches; go-karts; and model cars and slot car magazines that started publication in the United States between 1945 and 2010. History and cover images are accessed using the links to the left. Simply click on each magazine title or menu to see the covers.
FIRST TIME VISITORS: USE THE SITE MAP TO BROWSE OUR ENTIRE LIBRARY -- TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY!!
This library contains the most popular published magazine periodicals based on circulation data, and it also includes some rare issues. Since there are currently 239 titles (excluding limited series, annuals and one-shots) and over 20,200 images, they are grouped into 17 content sections as follows:
- Hot Rod and Street Rods (from 1945 with images up to 2020)
- Car Collecting (from 1966 with images up to 1990)
- Corvettes (from 1957 with images up to 2010)
- Customs, Kustoms and Lowriders (from 1958 with images up to 2020)
- Drag Racing (from 1959 with images up to 1999)
- General Consumer Automotive (from 1947 with select images up to 2000)
- Motorsports and Auto Racing (from 1949 with images up to 2000)
- Muscle & Performance Cars (from 1962 with images up to 2000)
- Mustangs (from 1978 with images up to 2014)
- Sports Cars (from 1953 with images up to 2000)
- Trucks, Pickups and Off-Roading (from 1962 with select images up to 2002)
- Tuners, Performance Imports & Sports Compact Cars (under development)
- Vans (from 1975 up to 1987)
- VW-powered and kit/component cars (from 1956 with select images up to 2005)
- Limited Series - Quarterlies, Annuals, One-Shots (from 1950 with images up to 2000)
- Model and Slot Cars (from 1960 with images up to 2000)
- Go-Karts / Karting (from 1959 with images up to 1969)
THE CIRCLE OF LIFE:
With the demise of printed car magazines at a faster rate since 2014, this quote from Howard Cohen seems appropriate.
"Rather than bemoan the things that are no longer what they were, think how lucky we are to have lived in such interesting times, played with such fantastic and demanding cars and known such passionate, eccentric and accomplished people. We've crammed a lot into our lives and enjoyed almost the whole of an entire golden age."
SUBMIT MISSING IMAGES!!
This website is a database compilation. It is intended for general and technical reference, research, automobile history, and genealogy. All abstracts, publishing timelines, net paid circulation data compilations, publisher and title histories, searchable indices, graphics and other text and data are the work of the author and may NOT be reproduced without the author's written permission.
However, magazine covers and table of content pages are digital images of physical printed matter. These digital images are from issues owned by the author, are in the public domain, or are active copyright-protected images owned by magazine publishers. The author of this website claims no right to these photographic images. Readers should fully understand their rights and responsibilities before downloading and subsequently re-using these images on other websites or in printed matter.