The first issue was published in October, 1950, and it ended with the August/September, 1956 issue. It was then was re-titled to
Auto Craftsman in December, 1956.
The magazine was owned by H-K Publications at 1140 East West Highway, Silver Springs, Maryland, and it had executive offices in New York City.
Publishers were Joseph Hardie and Raymond Kelly.
Content was largely focused on European sport cars, antique automobiles from the United States, U.S. domestic cars, and stock car racing. Hot rod content seemed
to be minimal, but Motorsport did have a classic hot rod cover with the April,
In the early fifties, many of the general purpose automobile magazines seemed to cover all rodding and racing topics - hot rods, sports cars, stock cars,
etc. Most of these titles either went out of business, or they narrowed their scope which is consistent with the trend to become
more specialized as to content and the target audience.
Copyright 99W Speed, R.H. Carroll, Lake Oswego, OR. All Rights Reserved.